No other institution on earth has the potential to change the world and address global issues as the local church. No force on earth is as unstoppable as the local church when it is functioning as a unified body of believers.
And nothing brings a church together in unity better than a growth campaign.
The greatest waves of growth that Saddleback Church has ever experienced have been the result of the various churchwide campaigns that we've done. When we set aside six to eight weeks to concentrate, as a church family, on a single theme, amazing things happen, such as:
- People bring their friends, co-workers and neighbors to church.
- Hundreds of people are baptized.
- All kinds of new small groups form and launch.
- Some people give financially for the first time, and everyone sacrifices for the kingdom.
- The church grows larger, deeper, broader, warmer and stronger.
As you plan your preaching over the next 12 months, plan at least one, if not two, opportunities for your church to align around a single theme. Some of our more well-known campaigns have included Decade of Destiny, 40 Days In the Word, What on Earth Am I Here For? and Daring Faith.
Amazingly, God has blessed these campaigns well beyond Southern California. Thousands of other churches in various countries have seen people meet Jesus, churches be established, and new missionary endeavors undertaken as the result of churchwide campaigns.
Here are some of the reasons I believe churchwide campaigns work so well:
1. They force you to concentrate. Leading up to and during a campaign, your church's entire staff and all key leaders are giving their time and energy to a singular goal. Rather than juggling all of the various projects that come up along the way, churches that really do campaigns well set aside good but distracting opportunities.
2. They motivate you to ask God for fruitful results. You can't engineer spiritual growth. We can sow the seed and water it. We can plan and strategize, but it is God alone, in His power and prerogative, who blesses with the result of a growing church.
3. They provide new opportunities for leadership development. At Saddleback, we've seen hundreds of new small groups start at the beginning of a campaign. We prepare curriculum that goes along with the preaching series. We gather all group leaders and potential group leaders together and share the vision. And then we ask those hosts to start their groups. There are always people who step up to lead during a campaign who would not have stepped up otherwise.
4. They give you the chance to re-cast a big vision. Leading your church through a campaign gives you the opportunity to shepherd the flock and lead the body in a unified way. A campaign should never be about fundraising. It should be about faith-raising. Our goal, even when challenging people to commit to giving, should really be to lead people to commit to growing in their faith.
It's great to dream big things for God, but what we often need is a mechanism God can use to bring the vision to pass, and a campaign is a pretty powerful mechanism for any church's health and growth.
Rick Warren is the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, one of America's largest and most influential churches. Rick is author of the New York Times bestseller The Purpose Driven Life. His book, The Purpose Driven Church, was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th century. He is also founder of Pastors.com, a global Internet community for pastors.
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.