In the August 19 edition of USA Today, Fandango.com managing editor Erik Davis was quoted as saying, "(For summer movies) the trailers are about making you in awe of what you're watching ... Fall (Oscar hopeful) awards trailers are about making you feel something.
"They want you to remember the movie, the experience. It made you feel sad, emotional. You cried, you saw something that was beautiful. They want to win you over on your on your emotions."
As I read his words, I was personally challenged by the level of effort Hollywood film producers put into a 2-to-3 minute movie trailer to engage your emotions.
Even though they are made with an incredible level of creativity and excellence, I was reminded how much more important weekly church services are than movie trailers. Simply put, a movie trailer cannot change a person's life. But Jesus Christ working through our church services changes people's lives on a weekly basis.
Whatever effort is put into a movie trailer, how much more effort should go into the planning and execution of our weekly church services?
Based upon my conversations with hundreds of fellow Sunday church attendees, the following are 30 Things People Want From Their Church Services. See if you don't agree:
1. I want to leave a church service with a sense of awe, which only comes from not knowing what God will do next.
2. I want to remember key details of the message the following Thursday.
3. I want the experience something supernatural.
4. I want my emotions moved.
5. I want to experience joy.
6. I want to be moved to tears.
7. I want to be inspired.
8. I want to be surprised. No more plug and play services.
9. I want to be challenged.
10. I want to be motivated.
11. I want to walk away with a sense of hope.
12. I want to feel energy from those on the platform.
13. I want to walk away with something applicable, a key point.
14. I want to meet some nice people.
15. I want content that engages my mind and makes me think.
16. I want to give my time and money to my church. I really do.
17. I want a sense of community.
18. I want a musical experience that is engaging, powerful and Christ-centered.
19. I want to emulate the lives of those on the platform.
20. I want opportunities presented in the service to serve after the service.
21. I want to be convicted, to repent.
22. I want to laugh.
23. I want to celebrate what God is doing in my life and the lives of others.
24. I want excellence.
25. I want to open my Bible.
26. I want to see people of different ethnicities and ages.
27. I want you to know my time is important. Don't waste it.
28. I want to feel like I am part of a movement.
29. I want to be changed. I want to walk out different than I walked in.
30. I want more than I get from a movie trailer.
I think you do also.
Brian Dodd's daytime job is as a Generosity Architect and leadership consultant for INJOY Stewardship Solutions. During the last 10+ years, he has spent each day having one-on-one conversations with many of the greatest church leaders in America. He also has over 25 years of church volunteer and staff experience. Check out his blog: Brian Dodd on Leadership.
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.