Depending on who and what you read, you can find different opinions on how often you should redesign or refresh your website. If it's a website design company, the answer is probably "six months ago." They like the business, after all.
I don't think you should have a time frame for website redesigns, though. It's an as-needed event and also one that should be carried out with much planning and intentionality.
Website redesigns should be carried out strategically and to meet a need. So if your church has one of these needs, then it may be time to refresh your site.
- Your site is not mobile-friendly. This is a top priority right now. If you don't have a mobile-friendly, responsive website, find someone to fix that right now.
- Your logo or branding changes. This may seem obvious, but if you're going to invest in a new logo or graphic branding package, then make sure your website is redesigned to reflect the change.
- Your site is not guest-friendly. Consider the content and layout of your site. Is it mainly for guests or members? If everything is geared to members, it might be time to fix some things.
- You need to change website platforms. This redesign is typically forced. If you're moving to WordPress or Squarespace as your web platform, then you will likely have to make design changes to the site. It's rare that you can move across platforms and keep a consistent look and feel.
- Your site is dated. This is more of a design aesthetic than the other items in this list. But if your site looks and feels old based on the graphics and content, move forward on a redesign.
The first question I get when I write on website redesigns is whom I recommend to do this work. There are several options available, but choose someone who knows churches and works with them. Our friends at MereChurch do a great job helping churches and can help you, too.
Does your church need a website redesign? Have you redesigned your site recently? If so, what drove that decision?
Jonathan Howe serves as Director of Strategic Initiatives at LifeWay Christian Resources as well as the host and producer of Rainer on Leadership and SBC This Week. Jonathan writes weekly at thomrainer.com on topics ranging from social media to websites and church communications. Connect with Jonathan on Twitter at @Jonathan_Howe.
This article originally appeared at thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.