I was recently in a church that had several signs posted about not bringing food or drinks in the worship center.
I asked a guest what he thought of the signs. His response was telling: "I think they are telling me they don't want to clean up my mess."
From that perspective, the sign was a negative sign for the church. At least from one person's point of view it meant, "Don't bother us."
Many churches, however, have positive signs posted around the church facilities. Unless you are a curmudgeon, these signs would give you a favorable impression of the church. My comments after each sign reflect the message it would likely communicate.
1. Guest parking. We welcome guests at our church. We want to treat you like a guest in our home and demonstrate our hospitality.
2. Allergy alert. These are the snacks we will be serving your children. We care about them and their well-being. If they have allergy problems, we will gladly offer them an alternative snack.
3. Expectant/young mother parking. We care about families. We especially understand the challenges young mothers have, and we hope this convenient parking helps a bit.
4. Public welcome to this playground. We did not build this playground as just a perk for our members. We want all of the community to know they are welcome here.
5. Guest welcome center. We always have someone at this welcome center during church activities. We have placed it at the entrance so you can walk right up and ask us any questions. We will also provide you information on our church.
6. You are welcome to take a Bible. We want everyone to have a Bible. We provide these Bibles as our gift to you.
7. Covered drop off. During inclement weather, we want you to have a place where you can drop off members of your family. This drop off is also available for those dropping off senior adults.
I love hearing from you readers. Let me know of some "positive signs" in your church.
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Research. For the original article, visit thomranier.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.