Pastor Chris Morgan, my friend and colleague on the 12Stone Church staff team, and one of the best worship leaders in the country, sent me a personal journal entry on leadership from his readings in I Thessalonians. It’s so good, I’m sharing it with you.
“Our visit to you was not without results . . .”
The apostle Paul, having validated the Thessalonians (and his experiences with them) in Chapter 1, now begins to authenticate his motives in Chapter 2. He is calling them to remember how he served among them. This is not so that he can get personally recognized, but so that the message he preached could get re-validated among them.
I find here in Thessalonians, from John Maxwell’s book, The 5 Levels of Leadership.
1. Position/Rights: “... we could have asserted our authority. Instead, we were like young children among you” (1 Thess. 2:6-7, NIV). Even though Paul held the position of apostle, he did not operate out of that mindset in leading the Thessalonians.
2. Permission/Relationship: “... we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well” (1 Thess. 2:7-8, NIV). Paul’s personal affection for them validates his leadership.
3. Production/Results: “You know, brothers and sisters, that our visit to you was not without results” (1 Thess. 2:1, NIV). One of the ways our leadership credential increases is through results. When you achieve objectives, others look and say “Wow! He knows what he’s doing.” Because of results, others extend more buy-in to your leadership.
4. People Development/Reproduction: “For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worth of God...” (1 Thess. 2:11-12, NIV). Paul says in other places, “Be imitators of me.” His obvious goal was to duplicate himself over and over.
5. Pinnacle/Respect: “For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy” (1 Thess. 2:19-20, NIV). I love this. Paul describes people developed into his disciples as his “glory and joy.”
What will Paul have to present to God? He will have people redeemed and developed! Paul’s legacy is deep and rich, and all for God’s glory!
Dan Reiland is executive pastor of 12Stone Church® in Lawrenceville, Ga., listed in Outreach magazine as the No. 1 fastest-growing church in America in 2010. He has worked closely with John Maxwell for 20 years, first as executive pastor at Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego, then as vice president of leadership and church development at INJOY. His semimonthly e-newsletter, The Pastor's Coach, is distributed to more than 40,000 subscribers. Dan is the author of Amplified Leadership, released in January 2012.
For the original article, visit danreiland.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.