I have lots of meetings in my world. Over the years of business, non-profit leadership, elected office and ministry experience, I've probably attended several thousand meetings. Along the way, I've developed some strong opinions.
I thought I'd share a few:
1. If all the decisions are already determined, don't call a meeting. Send me an email. Don't waste my time.
2. If you're meeting at a time when people are naturally hungry, feed us. And, pay for it.
3. If we don't have an agenda—if it's simply on the calendar but there is really nothing to discuss—well, I don't mean to seem rude, but what are we doing here?
4. If every new idea is going to be shot down, wouldn't skeet-shooting be a better use of our time?
5. If we keep doing this the same way every time, won't someone—someone like me—eventually get bored?
6. If we are only going to talk about it—but never really do anything about it—isn't this really just a social event?
7. If one person dominates all the conversation, let's skip the meeting and schedule a speech.
8. If everyone is invited, nothing is getting accomplished today—let's have a party.
9. If it's past time for most people to go home, let's postpone—you've lost our full attention.
10. If no one is taking notes, will we even remember any of this tomorrow?
Those are just a few of my thoughts about meetings. I'm not opposed to them at all. I think they are vital to healthy organizations. Let's just keep getting better at them.
What are your thoughts?
Ron Edmondson is the senior pastor at Immanuel Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky. For the original article, visit ronedmondson.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.