Friday's List—This week's list is helpful to those who are handed a microphone when least expected. Impromptu speech making is terrifying most of the time, but a little preparation can make the experience survivable.
"Steve, come up here and share a few words about thermonuclear dynamics and the law of entropy."
Isn't that great? I was just thinking about that topic with my Cheerios this morning.
The key for me is to always expect to be called on. I learned this in college. I have one of those faces and my forehead has a sign that says, "pick me!"
If you have a preparation tip, please share it below in the comments section.
1. Memorize a couple of all-purpose quotes or relevant scriptures. I save good quotes in my notes app on my phone. Scripture is hidden in my heart and Holy Spirit helps me share the right verses.
2. Practice telling a story about one of the big surprises in your life—explain how the surprise of "being called on" ranks right up there as a top surprise. Stories are very helpful in connecting with your audience very quickly.
3. Be the object of any humor. Pick on yourself. You probably did something funny today!
4. Shift the attention off of you and to someone you can compliment or thank in the audience. "Without Billy Bob, I wouldn't be speaking today. Let me tell you a story about Billy ..."
What if you are unexpectedly called to the platform to receive an award?
5. If you receive a plaque or trophy or any type of award, show quiet confidence. Be firm in how you thank the presenter. Tell everyone what you will do with the award and how you hope it inspires others to reach their potential. It's also a good time to share a scripture.
Build a library in your mind. Practice thinking, "What would I say if I was called to speak right now?"
Be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within you.
"Preach the word, be ready in season, reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with all patience and teaching" (2 Timothy 4:2).
Platform Tip No. 144
If I only told my wife one time about my love for her, how would that impact our relationship?
I've spent most of my life loving her and finding ways to say it and show it.
Love is a drip.
Your message is love. Share it with great frequency.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the media group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His book, Love Leads: The Spiritual Connection Between Your Relationships and Productivity, is now available.
Leaders, Dr. Greene wants to help you understand the spiritual connection between relationships and productivity. Read his new blog, Love Leads.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.